North Carolina has the largest American Indian population east of the Mississippi River, and the eighth largest Indian population in the United States.
Celebrate the history, culture, and traditions of American Indians.
- Eastern Band of Cherokee (Swain and Jackson counties)
- Coharie (Sampson and Harnett counties)
- Lumbee (Robeson and surrounding counties)
- Haliwa-Saponi (Halifax and Warren counties)
- Sappony (Person County)
- Meherrin (Hertford and surrounding counties)
- Occaneechi Band of Saponi Nation (Alamance and surrounding counties)
- Waccamaw-Siouan (Columbus and Bladen counties)
A special collection of films, short stories, and resources are available at www.pbs.org/specials/native-american-heritage-month.