Join AmeriCorps and help our neighbors in Buncombe County improve their literacy and English language skills!
The Literacy Council of Buncombe County will host one full-time NC LiteracyCorps (an AmeriCorps Project) member beginning September 2019. The application period is open now through August 1.
The NC LiteracyCorps places members at literacy organizations, providing literacy tutoring to youth and adults while building program capacity through volunteer management. The Literacy Council of Buncombe County’s member will:
- provide direct service tutoring
- recruit and orient volunteers
- recruit and support students
- develop community partnerships
- conduct visibility campaigns
- manage a book gifting program and
- participate in national days of service
The Literacy Council’s full-time member will provide 1,700 hours of service with a 10-month commitment, receiving a living allowance of up to $13,992. Upon successful completion of requirements, the member will be eligible to receive an additional educational award.
Requirements to serve with the NC LiteracyCorps are that the member must:
- be at least 17 years old
- have a high school diploma or equivalent
- successfully pass statewide and national criminal background checks
- be a U.S. Citizen, National, or Legal Permanent Resident of the United States
The Literacy Council is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
For details or to apply online, visit nclc.web.unc.edu/join-nclc/americorps-member. You may also contact Nureena Faruqi at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Ashley Lasher at email@example.com.