Black Street Grocery, Asheville, NC

Black Street Grocery, Asheville, NC

Urban Renewal Photo Gallery

In 1964, Asheville’s City Council voted to adopt a revised housing code modeled on the state’s code, which had strict requirements for occupied dwellings.

Black Street Grocery
Photo by Andrea Clarke, private collection
Photo by Andrea Clarke, private collection
Description

Photo: UNC Asheville, Ramsey Library, Special Collections.

Approximately 1,200 houses were impacted by the new code. About 700 houses, or 60%, were in good enough condition to be rehabilitated. The other 500, or 40%, were so deteriorated as to be uninhabitable or, at best, dangerous, and therefore would be razed.

Read “Urban Renewal: the Saga and the Scandal

Photos courtesy of: Andrea Clarke, private collection; Special Collections, Ramsey Library, UNC Asheville.

Leave a Reply

Asheville
77°
Mostly Cloudy
6:58am8:02pm EDT
Feels like: 77°F
Wind: 6mph W
Humidity: 24%
Pressure: 29.94"Hg
UV index: 6
16h17h18h
73°F
72°F
72°F
ThuFri
61/37°F
63/43°F