Police were never meant to resolve the issues they are faced with today.
For example, do you think that:
- police forces need to be demilitarized and no longer receive military equipment for use on our streets?
- people suffering with mental health issues should be treated and assessed by mental health professionals?
- homeless individuals should be provided social services and medical care instead of punitive measures?
- our children in schools should have access to nurses, counselors, and social workers before school systems bring in cops?
- there should be greater accountability within law enforcement?
- we should revisit how we rehabilitate criminals and provide re-entry into society?
If you agree with these hypotheticals, great! That is actually what defunding the police means.
It does not mean doing away with police forces; it’s actually focusing them on what they do best: enforcing our community laws. Other concerns like community issues, drug addiction, and social services would be addressed by professionals trained in those areas.
The best part is each town and city can reallocate funds as they best see fit. Make your voices heard to your town council and mayor.