The purpose of this position is to perform a wide variety of tasks ensuring public safety and customer satisfaction related to the operation, maintenance, security of County Parks and Recreation Facilities.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire): High school diploma or equivalent; Minimum of four (4) years in park operations and/or maintenance work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience: Completion of routine safety training post hire. Demonstrated experience in customer service and ability to deal with stressful situations and/or experience with park services.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: Possession of a valid driver’s license; Ability to obtain CPR certification and Playground Safety Inspection certification within first twelve months of employment (Employer funded).
Essential Functions of the position
Promote positive customer service, public relations, and communications with citizens using the park and recreation facilities; coordinate reservations for specific park areas or fields for use by a variety of clubs, organizations, and the general public; Work with the public regarding park usage and regulations, including collecting fees, issuing permits, licenses, and maintain records for accounting purposes.
• Opening and closing park facilities.
• Ensure safety of the public through knowledge of safety procedures; identify and route calls during emergencies.
• Patrol parks to enforce regulations, maintain order, and assist the public in the use of the facilities and during emergencies.
• Assist with and participate in set-up/clean-up and oversight of special events and programs.
• Maintain parks and recreation facilities through general maintenance of facilities, boats, and equipment; build, repair, and work on special projects; ensure that all facilities, equipment, and boats are in good working order; provide safety instructions to users.
• Provide oversight and supervision to persons required to complete public service or youth diversion service.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Abilities:
• Knowledge of County provisions, law, ordinances, and policies pertaining to care of park equipment and properties.
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions related to the work.
• Ability to prepare and maintain routine work records and reports.
• Ability to deal with the public during stressful times.
• Flexibility to navigate a changing environment.
• Ability to use hand tools, power tools, and equipment associated with this type of work.
• Good command of language to effectively communicate with the public, county employees and comprehend/determine problems.
• Ability to complete work on a timely basis observing all safety rules.
• Able to exhibit sound judgement and decision making.
• Ability to handle stressful situations, remain calm and assist patrons in emergencies.
Job Posting End Date: July 17, 2022
Salary Range: $20.37 – $23.78 hour
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.