Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project (ASAP) seeks a Market and Events Coordinator
Supervisor: ASAP Program Managers
Classification: Full time, exempt. Hours for this position are Tuesday through Friday, 9am to 5pm and Saturdays, 6:30am to 2:30pm.
The Market and Events Coordinator is responsible for the management, operations, and promotion of the downtown Asheville City Market. This position also manages ASAP program and fundraising events and ASAP’s volunteer and intern initiatives.
In addition to a basic knowledge of, and commitment to, the mission of ASAP, the incumbent will have a strong work ethic, be detail and service oriented, and be able to effectively manage the challenge of working on a wide variety of tasks. Related responsibilities or support for other ASAP programs may be assigned as needed.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, oversee, and coordinate logistics of ASAP events such as the Business of Farming Conference, the Farm Tour, workshops, etc., with appropriate program staff
- Facilitate activities and promotions with farmers, businesses, farmers markets, and community partners
- In conjunction with the development director, facilitate organization of fundraising and partnership events
- Work with the communications team on promotions and materials for events
- Work with program directors to create event budgets and ensure budgets are met
- Work with development director to identify sponsorship opportunities and maintain ongoing relationships with sponsors and supporters
- Evaluate event success and provide reports to the organization
- Manage routine planning and implementation for weekly market operations
- Coordinate vendor applications, selection, and scheduling
- Monitor product mix management to enhance supply, selection, and appeal
- Maintain effective communication with vendors, customers, and market partners
- Enforce market policies, rules, and regulations
- Oversee daily at-market operations and resolve issues
- Work with Farmers Market Program Manager to establish budgets, maintain financial records, and issue reports
- Prepare weekly market site plans in compliance with permitted restrictions
- Complete pre-market preparations and set-up (e.g., van transport, booth set-up items, covering parking meters, booth space chalking, signage, etc.)
- Manage at-market vendor fee collection and token sales & redemption activities
- Coordinate and complete post-market breakdown
- Schedule and assign tasks to market assistants, interns, or volunteers
- Facilitate market Oversight Committee meetings
- Design and implement marketing, outreach, and promotion plans including market features (e.g. music), events, and customer engagement activities.
- Managing market social media and weekly e-newsletter
Volunteer and Intern Coordination
- Manage and implement intern program
- Assess organization intern and volunteer needs and recruit, hire, train, and organize interns and volunteers
- Work with the administrative team to maintain volunteer and intern data, policies, background checks, and other administrative needs
- Maintain appropriate volunteer and intern information in database
- Attend staff and other appropriate meetings and participate in organization planning
- Use of personal vehicle for work related travel and events (mileage reimbursed)
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Event and/or farmers market management and promotion experience preferred
- Background in working with staff, students, and volunteers
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Marketing and public relations skills, especially with regard to social and digital media
- Experience with programs like Salesforce and Google Suite
- Highly detail-oriented with strong project management skills
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work independently
- Track record of meeting assigned schedules and responsibilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
- Ability to complete routine duties with consistency and attention to detail
- Accuracy in dealing with processes and recordkeeping
- Comfortable planning and implementing customer engagement activities/events
- Commitment to effective customer service
- ASAP requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to follow office guidelines around masks, based on current recommendations
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must have valid drivers license
- Must be available to work Tuesdays through Fridays, 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 6:30am to 2:30pm
- Must be able perform repetitive tasks including lifting and carrying (30lbs)
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $40,600 ($37,000 plus $3,600 health stipend). Benefits include an employer match retirement plan, paid time off, paid sick time, and paid holidays.
ASAP is currently a qualifying employer for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness (PSFL) Program.
Please email a cover letter and include HOW YOU HEARD ABOUT THIS POSITION, resume, and three references with the subject line: 2022 Market and Events Coordinator to [email protected]. Please submit documents in PDF or Google Docs format.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all applicants.
This posting will remain open until filled. Applications only accepted by email. Please do not call or come by the office.
ASAP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, political beliefs, creed, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.