Over the past year, United Way of Asheville & Buncombe County worked together to co-create a new community investment process that is led by community members.
Together, they redefined how we invest in individuals, organizations, and initiatives in Asheville and Buncombe County, resulting in the 2023 United for Youth Community Grants, driven by the voices and aspirations of our incredible community members.
Here are the recipients of the first grants issued through this transformative process. Congratulations to these outstanding grant awardees:
- KL Training Solutions – My Daddy Taught Me That
- Coach Sherman Williams
- Team Us
- Project Lighten Up – Summer Day Camp
There were 38 submissions, and all demonstrated vision, action, and community commitment. The Community Investment Selection Committee members carefully considered all and chose individuals and organizations that were extremely aligned and integrated all the community-generated themes:
- Equitable access to opportunities, mental health care, tutoring, and counseling for college
- Creation and access to internships and apprenticeships
- Building connections with the community and role models in the school
Each of these recipients is honored for working toward a brighter future for our community. Their dedication is highly commendable and is expected to have a long-lasting impact in creating equitable access to opportunities, internships, and strong community connections.
Learn more about the grant at www.unitedwayabc.org/u4y-grants-awardees.