The YMI Cultural Center and LEAF Global Arts come together for a new collaboration and community event.
The YMI Cultural Center and LEAF Global Arts have scheduled a new virtual community event, Reimagine 2020, as a replacement for the marquee summer events, LEAF Downtown and Goombay. In a new partnership, Reimagine 2020 will take place virtually and through small-scale in-person events on October 3-4, 2020.
Following CDC, North Carolina, and Buncombe County guidelines, and with City of Asheville approval, Reimagine will bring the Asheville community together digitally and at a social distance to experience entertainment, discussion, culture, and discover community resources.
Both LEAF Global Arts and the YMI Cultural Center have long hosted global talents and transformative experiences that bring diversity, artistic excellence, and culture to the Asheville community. Both organizations aim to be conduits for change, inspiration, and cultural preservation and remain committed to creating pathways to equity, elevating underrepresented voices, and celebrating cultural art.
According to its organizers, Reimagine is not only a chance for the community to see the vibrancy of The Block, it is also a fundraising effort to sustain both organizations as the pandemic continues to create fiscal challenges. Both organizations use events to create revenue streams that fund community outreach and have experienced a financial loss because of the current restrictions.
What to Expect
- Digital Performance and LIVE performances at YMI and LEAF Global Arts
- History of Black Asheville Storytelling Conversation—interviews, panel discussions, and speakers
- Candlelight Vigil in memory of those we lost in 2020
- Local and regional comedians
- Family-friendly entertainment
- Community resources
- Renew your spirits! Pathways to explore healing arts, shop with local artists, and delicious food from your favorite restaurants